Drumming is known to relieve stress, to lift spirits, to create community, to put us in touch with the natural beat of the universe around us. There is healing value in playing music, expressing oneself rhythmically, and connecting with others.
A Drum Circle
- A community music-making event where people sit or stand in a circle while playing world percussion instruments.
- People play improvised rhythms. Music is created in the moment.
- Instead of a teacher, there is a facilitator someone with musical experience and facilitation training who leads from the center of the circle.
- In the Drum Circle, there is no audience. Everyone is part of the performance.
Types of Drum Circles
- Thunder Drummers unfacilitated free form jams.
- Facilitated community drum circles.
- Rhythm events for kid’s programs at schools and boys and girls clubs.
- Drum Circles for at-risk kids at alternative satellite schools.
- Rhythm based events at adult day centers and nursing homes for the well elderly.
- Special needs population circles facilitated by music therapists. © 2004